Communications and Community Engagement Coordinator
POSITION DESCRIPTION :
Title: Communications and Community Engagement Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary Range: $30,000 – $35,000 annually, commensurate with experience
Submit your application by: 5PM Eastern, July 31
- WMEAC’s Communications and Community Engagement Coordinator will work collaboratively with the organization’s program staff and diverse stakeholders (organizations, members, businesses, interested community members, and more) to provide balanced educational resources that improve West Michigan’s capacity to understand environmental issues, urban affairs, and other opportunities. Education and activism efforts will be directly linked to interactive opportunities for action to address prioritized issues at the local, statewide and national level. A variety of social and earned media tools will be used to engage the community in dialogue and action about environmental justice issues especially pertinent to the context of West Michigan: environmental protection, environmental racism issues, watershed protection, energy conservation, and sustainable lifestyles.
- Coordinates WMEAC’s expansion of its environmental justice and activism scope in the West Michigan region
- Leads WMEAC’s IDEAL (Inclusion and Development of Environmental Allies and Leaders) program
- IDEAL was created with a goal of building relationships with community leaders and residents from underrepresented communities to mobilize around environmental justice issues such as housing quality, health, energy insecurity, and water pollution.
- Develops, sustains, and grows an active, engaged, and educated volunteer base for WMEAC programs, events, and outreach opportunities.
- Manages WMEAC advocacy efforts including:
- Engaging social marketing strategies – Using Facebook, Twitter and Grassroots/Guerilla marketing tactics that inspire community action.
- Traditional Media – assists with WMEAC’s newsletters, annual report, membership/outreach appeals
- Earned Media – Develops press releases and conducts follow up with media professionals
- Delivering letters to the editor, letters to elected officials, presentations on issues as prioritized.
- Participating in statewide and local advocacy and policy campaign.
- Leads effort to keep WMEAC’s website current including updating event calendars.
- Maintains WMEAC’s internship program – aids in recruitment and processes candidates’ paperwork.
- Conducts candidate education and other 501C3 appropriate activities during election years.
- Documents success by reporting advocacy actions, media exposures and policy wins.
- Works as a team player to support WMEAC staff and ensure the continued success of WMEAC and its programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of two years’ relevant job experience in environmental advocacy, social work/social services, community organizing, academic settings, journalism, public policy, marketing, or any combination
- Writing sample required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable with public speaking and presentations
- Volunteer recruitment and management experience
- Web and Social Media experience
- Organizational ability, with attention to detail
- Desire and capability for professional and grassroots networking
- Ability to passionately represent the values and goals of WMEAC