Some of the questions from Wednesday, Jan 12 Wind In My Backyard Forum are listed below. A crazy day in the Michigan Legislature prevented us from getting to these today. We’ll do our best to answer those not addressed at the forum over the next few days:
- What is the real impact of windmills on birds and noise levels to the local neighborhood?
- How much power from windmills is lost due to inefficiency of transmission cables? What can be done to decrease the level of inefficiency?
- Where can people in Michigan buy a backyard or rooftop wind turbine?
- What is the average life expectancy of a turbine?
- What are the plans for wind development, particularly in West Michigan?
- What is the likelihood of developing windmills off the cost of Lake Michigan within the next two years?
- Given the variability of both wind and solar energy, how does one determine which is more cost efficient?
- One of the reason that wind turbines seem to have a negative image with the general public. How does one rid the general public of this negative images if the vast majority of the community aren’t attending information forums?