- This event has passed.
Mayors’ Grand River Cleanup Campaign
September 10 - September 16
From Saturday, September 9th, through Saturday, September 16th, WMEAC will provide supplies to volunteers throughout the communities of Grand Rapids, Wyoming, Grandville, Walker, Kentwood, and East Grand Rapids to remove trash from the tributaries and storm drains that feed into the Grand River as well as from the Grand River itself.
Streets and sidewalks accumulate litter which will be washed away into drains and waterways if we don’t stop it. In urban areas around the Grand River the “first flush” of pollution after a rainstorm can take less than 15 minutes to reach the river.
Removing litter from our environment becomes increasingly difficult and more expensive the farther it gets from its source. Taking action to remove the trash within your community will ensure a swimmable, drinkable, and fishable future for the waters we all share.
Sign up as an individual, a small group of friends or family, or as a business to take on this challenge!
Schedule of events:
- Saturday, September 9th – Mayors Grand River Cleanup 20th Anniversary Kick-Off
- Saturday, Sept 9th – Saturday, Sep 16th – over 35 sites along the Grand River and its tributaries are available for groups of 5+ individuals to adopt. Each group is responsible for recruiting volunteers, picking up supplies from WMEAC, and reporting trash totals. For more information about adopting a site or putting together a group please contact Kyle Hart at email@example.com
- Wednesday, September 13th – Open call for volunteers to clean up the Grand River along Veteran’s Memorial Drive
- Saturday, September 16th – Lower Grand River Organization of Watersheds’ Jamboree & WMEAC Rain Barrel Workshop
- Saturday, September 16th- Funding a Future For All- IRA + Environmental Advocacy Conversation:
Join Congresswoman Hillary Scholten and State and local leadership to learn how we can use federal funds to create equity in Grand Rapids. Please RSVP and secure your ticket here:https://www.eventbrite.com/e/funding-a-future-for-all-tickets-706258677717?aff=oddtdtcreator
If you are interested in sponsoring The Cleanup, having an information table at our kick off, or volunteering with a group (5+ individuals) please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org