Gifts of Stock and Securities

How to Donate Stocks to WMEAC

Each stock gift we receive strengthens WMEAC’s program work while providing tax benefits for supporters.
Just follow these step-by-step instructions to help you take advantage of this gift planning opportunity:

Stock certificate held by a supporter

  1. Contact us to inform WMEAC you are making a gift of stock.
  2. Using registered mail, send the unendorsed securities to:
      West Michigan Environmental Action Council
      1007 Lake Dr SE
      Grand Rapids, MI 49506

  3. In a separate envelope to the same address, send:
    • A letter stating you wish to contribute the securities to the West Michigan Environmental Action Council (WMEAC), including the name and number of shares of each stock; and
    • A signed, but otherwise blank, stock power form. (contact us if you need a blank form)

Stock held by a Broker

  1. Give your broker the following information to transfer a gift of stock to WMEAC:
    • WMEAC’s brokerage account is with Raymond James.
    • WMEAC’s account number is 48477346 and the DTC number is 9725.

  2. Either you or your broker must contact us by email at or call 1-616-451-3051 x 124 with the name of the stock and the number of shares being transferred. This ensures the gift is properly credited and acknowledged.

To get started with a donation of stock or securities, please send us an email at:


Why are stocks and other securities good charitable gifts?

Appreciated securities or mutual fund shares that you have owned for more than one year are excellent charitable gifts.

Donating stock or securities offers a number of benefits:

  • A federal income charitable tax deduction based on the stock’s fair market value on the date of the gift (up to 30% of your adjusted gross income) if the stock was owned for more than one year;
  • Carryover of the deduction for up to five additional years if the fair market value of the gift is more than 30% of your adjusted gross income; 
  • Avoidance of capital gains tax that is due when you sell appreciated stock.

Note:  Stock owned for one year or less is considered a short-term asset and usually will not produce attractive tax benefits.

Also, if stock has decreased in value, selling it and making a cash gift to WMEAC is probably more beneficial.  You can take a capital loss on federal taxes and still enjoy a charitable deduction up to 50% of your adjusted gross income.

This document does not constitute tax advice. We recommend that you consult with your attorney or tax advisor for the various tax benefits and restrictions that may apply to your specific situation.  We are available to you and your advisors to answer questions or help arrange a gift to WMEAC.