The West Michigan Environmental Action Council is an organization that puts people first. From our beneficiaries to our employees, WMEAC wants to ensure a high quality of life for everyone we impact. We offer competitive compensation, as well as a flexible schedule and a relaxed work environment where you can mix your passion for environmental protection together with your skills.
S.O.R.T. Station and Volunteer Coordinator - FILLED FOR 2018
S.O.R.T. Station and Volunteer Coordinator
The West Michigan Environmental Action Council (WMEAC) is offering temporary positions for a small team to support waste materials management stations at ArtPrize 2018 in coordination with ArtPrize, WMEAC, the City of Grand Rapids, and the Kent County Department of Public Works. The S.O.R.T (Separate, Organic compost, Recycle, Trash) Coordinators will support outreach and education strategies to implement effective materials management at ArtPrize. The Coordinators will support volunteer coordination, training, and support volunteers during event shifts.
The Coordinators will be assisting with community outreach, volunteer coordination, and public speaking. The Coordinators will work out of WMEAC and the ArtPrize Volunteer Station to support project partners and in Downtown Grand Rapids to support volunteer and S.O.R.T. Station logistics. Evening and weekend hours are expected.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Support the recruitment of organizations and individuals to volunteer at S.O.R.T. Stations
- Provide volunteer training and support
- Open and close S.O.R.T. stations in coordination with volunteer schedules
- Collect, organize, and support the analysis of S.O.R.T. Station observation forms
- Encourage a safe, positive and fun volunteer experience
- Coordinate with partner organizations including, but not limited to WMEAC, ArtPrize, the City of Grand Rapids, and Kent County
- Act as a representative of WMEAC to community partners and to the general public
- Available to work part-time throughout the duration of the ArtPrize event from Sept. 19 – Oct. 7 with flexibility to cover daytime, evening and weekend shifts.
- Basic knowledge of common waste material management avenues (composting, landfill, and recycling)
- Strong organizational practices and skills
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to speak to a group
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with Google Docs
- Ability to work with database management
- Proven history of dependability
- Spanish language skills
- Ability to manage multiple competing tasks and prioritize assignments
Please submit resume and cover letter online at wmeac.org/careers. Please include schedule availability in cover letter.
Pay range: $12 – $15/hour
Employment Status: Temporary, part-time contract position
Before ArtPrize: 15-20 hours/week, Monday-Friday
ArtPrize (September 19th – October 7th): Variable hours, seven days/week
Position available: September 17 – October 12, 2018
West Michigan Environmental Action Council is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of unlawful discrimination and harassment. Our Board of Directors, staff, and interns are committed to enhancing and celebrating diversity in all its forms. All employment decisions at West Michigan Environmental Action Council are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Click here to add your own text